BVF08: Checking out the IT Stream
I’m here in Banff, at the Banff Venture Forum 2008. I’m here with James from AdHack, who is presenting at 2:45pm on Thursday. We’ve got the AdHack booth set up at #14, and already had a great discussion with Kevin Dahl from Calgary Technologies, Inc.– a non profit that helps grow the Calgary technology ecosystem. Sounds like a great partner for Bootup (and I’m going to hit the Vancouver municipality over the head with your example) – we’ll be trying to make some cross pollination happen.
Update: a few one liners around some of the companies and presentations I saw during the forum. Look at Rob’s great coverage on Techvibes for a more in depth write up of each company.
In any case, for the next 2 days, we’ll be hearing 12 minute pitches from the following companies in the IT Stream:
- StandOut Jobs
– social media upgrade your careers page. I’m going to talk to Ben to see if we can maybe use Standout Jobs to connect around startup jobs and co-founder searches somewhere on Bootup. Regardless, a good solution that’s getting even more interesting
– good solution for super charging
- Myotis Wireless (placeholder page, no website yet?) – funny comment was “we have no one under 40”; has real tech around very low power radios, and cuts through interference
- Semanti Corp. – toolbar powered semantic search upgrade on top of Google results
- Business Infusions Inc.
– practice management software for veterinarians
- Reflex Photonics Inc.
- VoIPshield Systems Inc. – security solutions around VoIP systems
- WideSail Technologies Inc. – sells digital chip designs that increase range and/or throughput using new error correction techniques – excellent quote is “when I make a sale, I send an email”
- Flixel Technologies Inc.
- Psyko Audio Labs Inc. – positional audio, initially for gamers
- Mingleverse Laboratories Inc. – stealth! out of Vancouver, interesting plan with audio, also related to positioning. More general usage with web-delivered audio conferencing and virtual rooms. Pretty much have to demo for it to make sense until they come out of stealth 😛
- Akoha – Austin Hill’s new startup, labeled as “casual gaming”, but has lots of real world interaction through physical cards and missions. I went for dinner with Austin and have a bunch of Akoha mission decks that I’ll schedule a meetup around.
- MoboVivo Inc.
- Tribal Nova – kids gaming, lots of licensed content like Curious George, etc.
- Ph03nix New Media Inc. – casual gaming, deal with Big Fish Games, and new virtual world concept with education plus gaming on a hip hop theme.
I’ll be coming back to this post to flesh out some one-liners about what each company does, and link to any longer posts or comments from my myself and others.