January 11, 2008 / Boris Mann

Booting up

Who wants this to be their office?

Hi, welcome to Bootup Labs!

Who: Boris Mann and Danny Robinson

What: an incubator, a company that helps startups get started (for now, in the Vancouver area). We could say kind of like Y-Combinator or sort of like the Founders Fund, just to start getting your head into the right space. We’re not a fund, but we do want to help you quit your day job. The web, mobile, and casual gaming are three of the main areas we’ll be focusing on.

Where: 350 – 375 Water Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada – right down in Gastown

When: now. This is it. We’re booting up. What’s amazing to us again was that picking the name was the hardest part. Lucky for us “bootup labs” was actually a Google Whack – that kind of sealed the deal. A few hours later, we’ve got Google Apps running everything from email to calendars, and this blog up and running in moments with WordPress.com. Now all we need is a place where we can crowd source a logo.

It feels like we’re getting started at exactly the right time. In just the last couple of weeks, we’ve noticed lots of relevant blog posts come bubbling up that are in line with our thinking. As the last year closed, Mark Evans figures we needs a Peter Thiel in Canada. David Crow batted that back, asking if money was really all we are lacking here in Canada.

David’s been doing lots of relevant blogging, like this one on seed stage financing in Canada – but that should come as no surprise: he and I often seem to share a brain, we just haven’t figured out which one is the evil twin yet. Oh yes, and you should definitely plan to go to the Founders and Funders dinner that David is organizing January 21st in Toronto.

We’ll be talking more about what we see as our value proposition to, well, founders and funders, in upcoming posts. We’re aiming to set up an environment where many more startup companies can flourish in Vancouver.

Welcome to Bootup Labs. Stop by our offices the next time you’re in town – we’d love to talk to you if you’re a founder, a funder, or want to get involved in some other way.

About these ads

1. Daniel Gibbons / Jan 11 2008 6:53 am

Congrats guys, really looking forward to seeing how this evolves.

2. John Davis / Jan 11 2008 8:07 am

It doesn’t seem that long ago you two were talking about this and now here your are, congrats! I can’t think of two people better suited to each others skill sets and core competencies to pull this off, watch the sparks fly! kick butt guys!

3. Bryan Rieger / Jan 11 2008 12:48 pm

Congrats guys! Boris, you always cease to amaze me. Always something new and exciting! Looking forward to seeing what you guys boot up!

4. dannyrobinson / Jan 11 2008 5:57 pm

Hey Bryan. At least we have one thing in common; Boris always ceases to amaze me too ;-) just kidding – I think we all know what you meant to say though. I’m very excited to be working with him on this project. I know it’s something Vancouver needs and is something Boris and I can do.

5. lance / Jan 11 2008 6:18 pm

Love the name.
    Great way to begin 2008.
    Timing is great.
    All the best.

6. Jordan / Jan 11 2008 7:27 pm

Nice work, fellas. It’s amazing how fast you put things together, too!

7. vanguyafo / Jan 12 2008 1:40 am

Hi there,

Excited to hear you guys are bringing this to Vancouver, it’s about time. BTW, how does one pitch his company to be a part of Bootup. Is there a online submission process initially. I assume you don’t want too many to drop by office all day long.

Thanks,

Alex

8. boris / Jan 12 2008 7:47 am

Hi Alex — we’re not quite ready to start the full intake process quite yet, but you’re welcome to email info AT bootuplabs.com.

9. James / Jan 12 2008 1:28 pm

Fellows: Congrats on the new digs and name! You’re on the cusp of being in business.

10. buckpost / Jan 12 2008 2:02 pm

Congrats on the move – much welcomed and needed if we’re going to get the start-up landscape in this country a jump start. If I can help in any way, let me know.

Mark

11. Graham / Jan 13 2008 1:45 am

Very cool. I was wondering if “Champagne Cork Ventures” was going to make it, but no. :)

It would be cool to get a mini bio on your backgrounds / skillsets to see what you guys can offer.

12. Chris Bryant / Jan 15 2008 8:57 am

Hi Boris, Congratulations on the new adventure. Hopefully the two Labs can get together and make some new discoveries! Catch you around soon enough.
    Chris

13. bentrem / Jan 15 2008 10:01 am

Sitting in Edmonton I’m certainly not going to say that lack of “cash” is the problem, but when “haves” are rolling in it and vacancy rates are microscopic is isn’t likely that other than masochists would be interested in the raw stark horror challenge of an IT startup.

Talking / twittering with folk in the SF or Seattle area is like chatting with residents of Mount Olympus … it’s simply another world. BarCamps and such, co-working in every other coffee shop (exaggeration, of course), plus 60% of the world’s IT VC, all of that adds up.

If my stealth project (now going into it’s 4th year of coy silence) didn’t have roots reaching back into the 70s I would have given up entirely. Let’s just say it’s heartening to see activity west of TO. *wary glance at Calgary*

all the best for ’08
    –bentrem

14. Lloyd Budd / Jan 15 2008 10:19 am
  15. Darren Barefoot / Jan 15 2008 11:13 am

Oh great, now I have to think of a start up that needs help getting started. Uh, uh…Hamsterster.com? Nope, too late.

In any case, congrats!

16. Ryan Cousineau / Jan 15 2008 9:46 pm

“We just haven’t figured out which one is the evil twin yet.”

Oh, like I could leave that one alone! You’re just baiting me now.

Congratulations on the new venture, Danny, even if you have to share it with Boris, who is evil.

17. Ryan Brooks / Jan 16 2008 1:07 am

Wait a minute. Vancouver? As in, Canada?

Coooool.

Congratulations guys. Those of us in tech startups from Calgary wish you all the best!

18. Ryan Brooks / Jan 16 2008 8:07 am

Wait a minute. Vancouver? As in, Canada?

Coooool.

19. yaronbazaz / Jan 16 2008 5:23 pm

Congradulation!!!

All the best with the new venture

cheers – yaron

20. Mom R / Jan 17 2008 12:39 pm

This one will be your BEST Danny
    Good Luck
    Mom

21. Eugene / Jan 22 2008 9:45 pm

I’ve been looking for a place like YCombinator (Paul Graham) in Vancouver..and this might actually be it…I’m on planning stage of a startup and looking for local help. I hope you guys keep up with this awesome venture as I know you guys will do great..I know people in Canada are ready for startup north!

22. Denton County Land For Sale / May 23 2011 6:54 am

Hi there, I found your blog via Bing while searching for a related topic, your web site came up, it looks great. I’ve bookmarked it in my bookmarks.

23. Salve. I only want to say that what you post here is really nice post so I m going to post http://blog.bootuplabs.com/2008/01/11/booting-up on my Digg profile so anyone can have the chance to enjoy. I was happy when I saw this tittle, Booting up | Bootup Labs Blog, on my google search, and the reason is that finally I found what I was looking for. My regrds

24. Tenson P Player Pack Black / May 28 2011 8:32 am

Bounjour. I sincerely want to say that what you say here is really very good post so I will post http://blog.bootuplabs.com/2008/01/11/booting-up on my Facebook profile so all can have the opportunity to enjoy. I was glad when I saw this tittle, Booting up | Bootup Labs Blog, on my google search, and the reason is that at long last I found what I was looking for. All the best

25. Meal Plans Weight Loss / Jun 5 2011 3:18 pm

An intriguing discussion merits a comment. I do believe you should write more about this subject, it may not be considered a taboo topic but generally folks are not prepared to write concerning such matters. Cheers

26. Iron Deficiency / Jun 22 2011 2:21 pm

Thanks for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbor were just preparing to do a little research about this. We got a grab a book from our local library but I think I learned more from this post. I am very glad to see such wonderful info being shared freely out there.

27. Heartburn / Jun 23 2011 4:42 pm

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself? Please reply back as I’m looking to create my own blog and would like to know wheere u got this from. thanks

28. semi truck leasing and financing / Sep 4 2014 6:23 am

Speak having a lender that specializes in truck and heavy equipment financing to find
    out what your creditworthiness is and just how substantially
    you could possibly afford to spend on your truck. Utility trucks have end up being the fundamental have to have for most industries like manufacturing,
    telephony, mining, electrical and numerous others.

1. West Coast F&F event | STIRR Canada